Back to All News
Fifth Church of Christ, Scientist Update
Mar 01, 2013
There has been renewed concern about Cleveland's Fifth Church of Christ, Scientist since the Cleveland Landmarks Commission granted approval of a demolition permit for the neighboring shopping strip at 11604 Clifton Boulevard last November.
The commercial buildings had structural issues and were demolished. Carnegie Companies plans to redevelop the site, and owns the entire block, except for the church. The City has asked that they examine developing the entire block, either by rehabbing the church or developing the parcel and incorporating elements into the new development.
The church lacks any additional land for parking, and, if it is to be redeveloped, it would need to be as part of the larger block. If the block is developed without the church, the likelihood of the church ever being redeveloped is slim.
The church, a major landmark on the Cleveland/Lakewood border since 1926, has been vacant for approximately 20years and has a number of issues, including extensive corrosion of the framing. The City commissioned a redevelopment study in 2009. You can read it here
(the appendices to the report are here
Councilman Westbrook, the local community development corporation, and city administration have worked to find a developer for the building since it was sold to the city for $1 in 2002.
The Cleveland Restoration Society hosted a series of meetings between the owner of the adjacent block and the developer who had the redevelopment agreement with the City in late 2006 and early 2007. All of the efforts to market the building can be read here
SOURCE: Cleveland Restoration Society March 2013 Newsletter