To better read the text on this web page, you may be able to adjust its size using your web browser, either by zooming in or by enlarging only the text.
Councilman Brian Cummins, local resident leaders, representatives from the Cleveland Landmarks Commission, Cleveland Restoration Society, Applewood Centers Inc., and other officials, held a press conference on Friday, July 13 to announce the newly designated Jones Home Historic District in Brooklyn Centre.
The area was originally part of the Western Reserve, surveyed by the Connecticut Land Company into part of what became Brooklyn Township in 1818. The earliest settlers of the area west of the Cuyahoga River were the Brainard and Fish families, who settled here in 1812. The lands were developed early in the nineteenth century into farmsteads, with a row of farms facing onto both sides of what is now West 25th Street.
David Jones arrived in 1831 from New Jersey with his wife Cynthia and family, including son Carlos Lloyd Jones and developed a farm on this site. In 1867, as Cleveland extended to just south of Clark Avenue, Brooklyn Village was incorporated, with the Jones Farm sitting on its northern end. In 1872 a plat was entered for the northern portion of the former Jones farm that marked the initial development of the district into a residential community. By 1874 the farmstead was subdivided in a series of plats that all followed the same plan as the original allotment, with fairly broad streets and spacious lots with alleys in the rear.
The district is significant for its distinctive street pattern of wider streets, compared to the surrounded area, spacious lots and rear lot line alleys that combined with the Jones Home for Children and its spacious park-like setting to stimulate the development of a turn of the century middle class residential neighborhood that survives largely intact today.
District planning was influenced by the streetcar, as the streets were laid out east-west for better access to the streetcar lines along Pearl and Fulton Roads. The streetcars also enabled industrial activity to be located further from the residential community, unlike neighborhoods to the north where factories were often built within walking distance of residences.
The properties within the district are a microcosm of well-preserved examples of American architectural styles during its period of significance, from 1872, when the area was first subdivided, through World War I, when the area was completely developed. The neighborhood is focused around four streets: Woodbridge, Marvin, Daisy and Library Avenues.
The significance of this neighborhood lies in its overall ambience and its relationship to the Jones Home for Children, a major architectural landmark on Cleveland’s west side as its centerpiece. Most of the houses in the district are of Colonial Revival in style with Queen Anne and other styles interspersed throughout. There are 745 structures listed within the District with 695 contributing and 50 non-contributing buildings.